To all citizens: Over that past couple of weeks the Police Department has been receiving calls from citizens in reference to a subject claiming to be from the Navajo County Warrant and Citation Division. At first the subject was using the name of Sgt. Davis. The subject is telling the victim that they have a warrant for their arrest and they must go purchase GreenDot card, place money on them and give him the numbers on the card or else they will be arrested.
1. Navajo County DOES NOT have a warrant and citation division, nor do they have a Sgt. Davis.
2. ***MOST IMPORTANT*** Law enforcement DOES NOT call people and request payment on warrants. THEY NEVER HAVE AND THEY NEVER WILL.
3. If you have never been in trouble then you should know right from the start that you wouldn't have a warrant.
4. All payments of warrants or fines go through the courts and they also WILL NOT call you for payment.
5. If someone calls you identifying themselves as an officer or deputy and something just does not seem right, ask for their badge number and write it down. Tell them you need to verify their information before proceeding, hang up and call dispatch to verify.
As with other scams, if it feels like there is something wrong, hang up and DO NOT do what they want you to do and call the Police Department or Sheriff if you live in the county.
PLEASE SHARE AND TALK TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW ESPECIALLY THE ELDERLY AND LET THEM KNOW ABOUT THIS SCAM AND TO NEVER GIVE THEIR INFORMATION TO ANYONE THEY DONT KNOW!!!!
If you do receive a call you can report it to the Federal Trade Commission at the following website: