Reporting Calls for Service and Helpful Resources for the Community
The Fountain Valley Police Department continues to see an increase in calls for service related to the homeless population, in particular adjacent to the encampments along the Santa Ana River Trail. Despite the increased activity, the City has had success providing services to the homeless population and enforcement of criminal activity. The Police Department continues to address community concerns within our jurisdiction utilizing the following resources:
• Assigned directed patrols where we have identified increased crimes and in the areas adjacent to the river trail encampments.
• Our Community Resource Officer (CRO) interacts with the homeless, connecting them with shelter information, veteran’s services and mental health assistance.
• Partnership with Orange County Mental Health, who provides a clinician to work alongside our CRO, providing access to mental health resources.
• Liaison with housing complexes and local businesses to address concerns.
It is important to recognize that all portions of the Santa Ana River Trail adjacent to the City of Fountain Valley are owned by the Orange County Flood Control District, and the Orange County Sheriff’s Department has jurisdictional authority. We continue to collaborate with the Sheriff’s Department in their efforts to provide service within their jurisdiction. To improve the service to our community, please use the following guidelines when reporting activities in Fountain Valley and the Santa Ana River Trail:
• For crimes in progress, call 9-1-1.
• Non-emergency calls for service occurring in the jurisdiction of Fountain Valley, contact Fountain Valley Police Dispatch at (714) 593-4485.
• Non-emergency calls for service occurring on the Santa Ana River Trail, contact the Orange County Sheriff’s Department at (714) 288-6742.
Additional questions or requests for information related to homeless outreach can be directed toward:
• Fountain Valley Community Resource Officer Vega (714) 593-4485 ext. 804.
• Orange County Sheriff’s Homeless Outreach Team general information line at (714) 647-7000. Select Option 6 for the Homeless Outreach Team.
• Orange County services available to assist homeless persons,
• Orange County behavioral and mental health programs, http://www.ocgov.com/gov/health/bhs/about/amhs/default.asp.
• 211OC, resource for health and human service programs, including shelters, http://www.211oc.org/.
• Food banks in Orange County,