Storm Preparation Tips
• Prevent storm drain blockages by keeping leaves and other debris out of streets, gutters and storm drains.
• Take proactive steps to prepare your home prior to storm events.
• Keep sandbags, plastic sheeting, lumber and other emergency building materials handy for waterproofing.
• Check roof drains and down spouts to make sure they are clear of debris.
• If you have a creek adjacent or near your property check to make sure it is free flowing. Remove all debris and foreign objects
• If you must drive during a storm, watch for road hazards (i.e. - damaged pavement, trees, power lines, mud, etc.) Never try to drive through standing water
• Keep children away from creeks and large drains which can be deadly during storms.
• Don’t forget your pets.
• Don’t store hazardous materials in areas that may be subject to storm water. Such as gasoline, paint, etc.
• Keep your car fueled. If electric power is out, filling stations may not be able to operate.
• Check your flash lights and any source of emergency lighting you have and make sure they work.
• Encourage friends and family to sign up for SMC alerts.
City of Burlingame residents may fill their own sandbags free of charge at the sandbag station located at 600 California Drive.
• Station is self-service. Bags, Shovels, and Sand are provided.
• Limit of 15 sandbags per property address.
• When you are done with the sandbags please dispose of the bags properly and recycle the sand.
Be prepared by building an Emergency kit for disasters www.ready.gov
San Mateo County Sherriff’s Office Website and click on Citizen Preparedness link: http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us
National Weather Service: Web-based weather information can be obtained at www.wrh.noaa.gov/
City of Burlingame Storm Preparation webpage: http://www.burlingame.org/index.aspx?page=3752
Public Works Corporation Yard
Monday to Friday 7am to 3:30pm
After Hours, Holidays & Emergencies
Police Department (Non-Emergency Number)