HAPPY HALLOWEEN HINTS
The City of Garfield Heights will celebrate Halloween on Tuesday, October 31, 2017, from 6:00 P.M. until 8:00 P.M. The following hints are provided by the Garfield Heights Police Department to assist in everyone's safety:
1. Young children should be accompanied by parents or other responsible adults on the “treating” visits.
2. Treating visits should be confined to your neighborhood.
3. Treating visits should be confined to the 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. timeframe.
4. Residents who wish to welcome treaters should light their front exterior light as a sign of their hospitality.
5. Children should call only at homes with their outside lights glowing.
6. Halloween costumes should be light in color, short enough to prevent tripping and non-flammable. Reflection tape, so they “glow” in the beam of a car’s headlights, should be placed on clothing.
7. Follow the basic pedestrian rules:
a. Cross only at corners, never between parked cars, and never diagonally across an intersection.
b. Look in all directions before crossing the street.
c. Watch for and obey all traffic lights and stop signs.
d. Walk, never run, across the street.
e. Use sidewalks, not the street, for walking.
f. Wait on the curb, not in the street, until the street is clear to cross.
8. Motorists should be alert and use extreme caution during the treating time.
9. Children should carry a flashlight in their bag for added visibility.
10. Bring your treats home so parents can see them and don’t eat treats that are not wrapped.
Please report all suspicious activities to the Police Department at once by calling 9-1-1 or 216-475-1234.