Halloween Safety Tips
The Columbia Police Department hopes everyone has a safe and fun Halloween.
Every kid wants to show off their Halloween costume.
Kids and Parents should be aware of Halloween Safety tips to keep themselves protected during the day's trick-or-treating in their neighborhood.
The Columbia Police Department has a list of top tips to keep everyone safe this year.
1. Don’t let children go "Trick or Treating" alone. Be sure older children use the BUDDY SYSTEM. An adult should accompany young children.
2. Accompany young children to the door of every house they approach. Stay within sight of the door when opened.
3. Parents should be familiar with every house, and with all people from which the children receive treats.
4. Children should be cautioned never to enter any home without prior permission from their parents.
5. Children should be cautioned never to approach any vehicle, occupied or not, unless they know the owner and are accompanied by a parent.
6. Make sure that all children carry a glow stick or flashlight and wear reflective clothing.
7. When using facemasks, make sure the child can see and breathe properly and easily.
8. All costumes and masks should be clearly marked as flame resistant.
9. Children should be warned to never approach any house that isn’t well lit and that does not have a porch light on.
10. Children should be cautioned to remember any suspicious incidents and report them to their parents, a trusted adult, or the police.
11. Children should be cautioned to run away immediately from people who try to lure them with special treats.
12. Children should be instructed to scream and make a scene if anyone tries to grab them or force them, in any way, to go with them.
13. Parents should inspect all treats and dispose of anything that has been opened or has never been wrapped.
14. A good alternative to "Trick or Treating" is for parents to organize parties at home or through the child's school.
15. Have child’s name and address written on the inside of the costume and on the trick or treat bag!