Baytown Police Department

  • Agency: Baytown Police Department
  • Address: 3200 N Main St, Baytown, 77521 TX
  • Chief: C Keith Dougherty (Chief of Police)
Phone: 281-422-8371

Baytown Police Department is located at 3200 N Main St, Baytown, 77521 TX. The Chief of Police of the department is C Keith Dougherty. The Baytown Police Department phone number is 281-422-8371.

Baytown Police Department News

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Wednesday, March 07, 2018. :) Photos! (Trouble adding picture today) On this date in 1971, Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier meet for the “Fight of the Century” at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The bout marked Ali’s return to the marquee three-and-a-half years after boxing commissions revoked his license over his refusal to fight in the Vietnam War. It was also Ali’s first chance to win back the heavyweight championship, which had been stripped by the WBA (World Boxing Association). Both Ali and Frazier were undefeated and had won Olympic gold medals and multiple Golden Gloves championships, but their personalities were vastly different. Ali was a showboat, and his mastery of the media, his improvisational poetry during interviews and his debonair good looks separated him from every other fighter, and every other athlete, of his generation. Much to his opponent’s dismay, Ali successfully painted the less popular and more reserved Frazier as an “Uncle Tom” and an instrument of the establishment. Leading up to the fight, the national press fawned over Ali, heralding “the hero’s return.” Ali played right along, while doing his best to knock Frazier off his game through mental intimidation. He even went so far as to repeatedly call Frazier a “gorilla.” On the night of the fight, celebrities filled Madison Square Garden. Miles Davis was resplendent in a red suit. Frank Sinatra sat ringside, photographing the fight for a Life magazine article. It was said that billions of people were following the fight in person, on TV or on the radio, and most of them were cheering for Ali. The fight lived up to the hype. Ali initially landed more punches, gliding about the ring as light on his feet as he was in the prime of his career. Frazier’s punches, however, seemed to have more impact. By the eighth round, Frazier was leading six rounds to two with each judge. In the 11th round, Ali staggered but fought back, forcing the action into the 12th and 13th rounds. The fight was already decided by the 15th, when Frazier landed a left hook to Ali’s right chin, knocking down the champ for the first time in his pro career. Ali got up, but Frazier won the fight by unanimous decision, retaining his title and delivering Ali the first loss of his career. The two fighters would fight twice more, in 1974 and 1975, with Ali winning both fights. The rivalry was so intense that, 20 years after their final fight, when Ali carried the torch and lit the ceremonial flame at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Frazier said “If I had the chance, I would have pushed him in.”

Baytown Police Department welcomes its newest crime fighter, Hamilton! Over a year ago our K-9 Unit set out on the daunting mission of expanding our K-9 Division’s capabilities, specifically wanting to add a second Bloodhound to our team. While they understand the vital role our four legged partners play in the fight against crime and the importance of increasing the number of K-9’s available to help serve the citizens of Baytown, they also believed it important to do so in as fiscally responsible a way as possible. In an effort to accomplish that mission our K-9 family collaborated with several charitable entities around the state and country who donate dogs to Law Enforcement agencies in an effort to find our next four legged crime fighter. Several months ago we submitted an application to one of those organizations, The Jimmy Ryce Center, to be considered for the gift of a Bloodhound. The Jimmy Ryce Center is similar to the Alie Foundation, who gave us our very first Bloodhound, the late “Mary”. Considered the gold standard in our organization, Mary was not only instrumental in apprehending countless criminals but her, along with her handler Corporal James Kerr, set the standard and laid the groundwork for our organization’s successful use of Bloodhounds today. The Jimmy Ryce Center was created after the Ryce family lost their 9 year old son, Jimmy, when he was abducted and murdered on his way home from school in 1995. After that tragedy Don and Claudine Ryce started the foundation to donate Bloodhounds to Law Enforcement Agencies in an effort to help bring those who have been abducted, or otherwise missing, home. Through that application process we were selected to be a recipient and were put in contact with a breeder/trainer by the name of Kathleen Jones in Lexington, Texas who presented us with the newest member of our K-9 Unit, Hamilton! Hamilton, a three month old AKC Bloodhound, has already started his journey to becoming one of our four legged heroes. He will be spending the next several months getting to know his new family and going through the very basics of track training, basic obedience and crate training. Later this year he and his handler, Officer David Lambert will attend the National Police Bloodhound Association Certification course where they will spend a week being put through the paces with various training exercises and scenario based testing, ensuring that Hamilton lives up to the standard that was set forth by Mary and is emulated every day by all the other members of our K-9 Unit. While we dread the day the tragedy comes where we need the services of Hamilton, we want our citizens to have confidence in the fact that should that occasion arise, their Police Department is equipped, trained and ready to serve.

Out with the OLD and in with the NEW (young)?

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Wednesday, March 07, 2018. :) Photos! On this Hump Day we celebrate one of our officers getting over the hump and overcoming great challenges! Off. Ramlal who was attacked and mauled by a dog nearly a full year ago has been able to rehabilitate his severely injured hand, has requalified with his weapon and is back to full duty! Welcome back Ram!

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Tuesday, March 06, 2018. :) Photos! You'll see in the media report today about a young man that fell from a moving train and it cost him heavily :( (he survived though). Stay away from moving trains and obey warning signs. In a contest with a train you'll always come in second place. Y'all keep the young man and his family and friends in your prayers please. ACDW

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Monday, March 05, 2018. :) Photos, including surveillance photos of shoptifters! TEA Time! This week once again our officers will be found on N. Main from I-10 to Wallisville, and we'll also watch the traffic light at Hunt and Garth where vehicles are turning from the wrong lane. Another location on our list for attention is West Cedar Bayou Lynchburg between Main and Garth. You folks turning right on red from Manor to Garth may receive a reminder to not do that, and N. Main from CBL to Hunt Rd. during rush hour. (Why do we call it 'rush hour' when we're moving so slow?) ;)

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Sunday, March 04, 2018. No photos. Well we enjoyed it while it lasted! To those visiting the Lone Star State, welcome to southeast Texas where if you don't like the current weather, just be patient and it will change shortly. ;) Have a great Sunday y'all.

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Saturday, March 03, 2018. No photos but for a surveillance photo of a shoplifter. Sunshine a couple days in a row, awesome! And so is the 'honey-do' list. Oh well. ;) Enjoy the weather today Baytown!

TAG A TAGGER! (& get $100!!!)

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Friday, March 02, 2018. :) Photos! Good job almost getting through the week Baytown and now, as Friday hits its stride and we start looking for the weekend, remember to spend the time with the family that you missed this week. If that isn't possible, spend it with a friend or enjoy doing something nice for yourself. Semper Fi Baytown. ACDW

TRAFFIC ALERT!!! Baytown Public Works has advised that TxDOT is working on the changeover to new signals at I-10 and 146. For the duration of this changeover, the lights will be off and the intersection will be a 4-way stop. There WILL BE HEAVY TRAFFIC AND DELAYS. TxDOT, their contractor and the Sheriff’s Office are on location, but we still recommend finding an alternate route. They expect to be done with the work around 5 pm. Patti Jett, CPC Public Affairs Coordinator

WHO DAT??? There are thieves and then there are thieves that reeeeally burn us up. This knucklehead collected a card skimmer off an ATM at the Stripes Gas Station located at 8102 HWY 146 in Baytown. If you have made a purchase there in the last 30 days or so keep a close eye on your account. Should this low-life look familiar, please give Chambers County Sheriff's Office a call or Crime Stoppers works well also! Sick 'em y'all!

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Thursday, March 01, 2018. :) Photos! This is NOT February 29th! ;) On this day in 1781, the Articles of Confederation are finally ratified. The Articles were signed by Congress and sent to the individual states for ratification on November 15, 1777, after 16 months of debate. Bickering over land claims between Virginia and Maryland delayed final ratification for almost four more years. Maryland finally approved the Articles on March 1, 1781, affirming the Articles as the outline of the official government of the United States. The nation was guided by the Articles of Confederation until the implementation of the current U.S. Constitution in 1789. The critical distinction between the Articles of Confederation and the U.S. Constitution —the primacy of the states under the Articles—is best understood by comparing the following lines. The Articles of Confederation begin: “To all to whom these Present shall come, we the undersigned Delegates of the States” By contrast, the Constitution begins: “We the People of the United States do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.” The predominance of the states under the Articles of Confederation is made even more explicit by the claims of Article II: “Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.” Less than five years after the ratification of the Articles of Confederation, enough leading Americans decided that the system was inadequate to the task of governance that they peacefully overthrew their second government in just over 20 years. The difference between a collection of sovereign states forming a confederation and a federal government created by a sovereign people lay at the heart of debate as the new American people decided what form their government would take. Between 1776 and 1787, Americans went from living under a sovereign king, to living in sovereign states, to becoming a sovereign people. That transformation defined the American Revolution. And Congress hasn't stopped arguing and having difficulty balancing the budget since! ;) May God continue to bless and heal this great land. ACDW

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Wednesday, February 28, 2018. :) Photos, including an excellent surveillance photo of a Khol's shoplifter! In the genre of hump day, hopefully encouragement to those still dealing with insurance companies and damaged homes. Don't forget those around Rockport where Harvey hit. Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic" delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910. THE MAN IN THE ARENA "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Tuesday, February 27, 2018. :) Photos, including a surveillance photo! Hang in there folks! We have resubmitted the requisition forms (this time in triplicate) and we are scheduled for a delivery of sunshine soon.

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Monday, February 26, 2018. :) Photos! TEA Time! This week our officers will be found on N. Main from I-10 to Wallisville, and we'll also watch the traffic light at Hunt and Garth where vehicles are turning from the wrong lane. Another location on our list for attention is West Cedar Bayou Lynchburg between Main and Garth. You folks turning right on red from Manor to Garth may receive a reminder to not do that, and N. Main from CBL to Hunt Rd. rush hour will have a couple more vehicles out there reminding folks to drive safe and according to the law. Thank y'all for wearing your seatbelt.

Received alert about this post. Does not surprise me, but wanted to take a moment to share with you all. Thank you to the men and women who daily are the boots on the ground.

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Sunday, February 25, 2018. No photos. Wellllll we almost made it! We missed getting into the next round by less than 250 votes. But oh well, it was a lotta fun and we know we have a great library and it was an honor to be involved! To anyone who hasn't visited our library, you're missing out on the many services provided. Good job supporting your library Baytown, it was a good run, and make sure you stop by and check out all the new stuff going on!

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Saturday, February 24, 2018. :) Photos! Heck of a good time today at the Jail Break Run! If y'all missed it this year we'll see you next year!

WE NEED YOUR HELP! As you may know, we're in the Final Four of the Leslie Knope Best Library Ever competition. Voting for this round ends today. We're competing against Williamsburg, Va and the pride of Texas is on the line. We NEED your vote! We need your mother's vote, your brother's vote, your dog (if he's got his own email address) to vote. Tell your friends, email your family, share it on your facebook page. We're only 11 votes in the lead right now, we need to pull away! Vote here:…/…/final-four-williamsburg-va-v-baytown-tx/ Even Parks & Recreation's Jim O'Heir wants you to vote for Sterling Municipal Library! Patti Jett, CPC Public Affairs Coordinator City of Baytown (281) 420-5802 office (832) 217-9430 cell

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Friday, February 23, 2018. :) Photos! Too important of a day to forget. Semper FI. On this day in 1945, during the bloody Battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines from the 3rd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment of the 5th Division take the crest of Mount Suribachi, the island’s highest peak and most strategic position, and raise the U.S. flag. Marine photographer Louis Lowery was with them and recorded the event. American soldiers fighting for control of Suribachi’s slopes cheered the raising of the flag, and several hours later more Marines headed up to the crest with a larger flag. Joe Rosenthal, a photographer with the Associated Press, met them along the way and recorded the raising of the second flag along with a Marine still photographer and a motion-picture cameraman. Rosenthal took three photographs atop Suribachi. The first, which showed five Marines and one Navy corpsman struggling to hoist the heavy flag pole, became the most reproduced photograph in history and won him a Pulitzer Prize. The accompanying motion-picture footage attests to the fact that the picture was not posed. Of the other two photos, the second was similar to the first but less affecting, and the third was a group picture of 18 soldiers smiling and waving for the camera. Many of these men, including three of the six soldiers seen raising the flag in the famous Rosenthal photo, were killed before the conclusion of the Battle for Iwo Jima in late March. In early 1945, U.S. military command sought to gain control of the island of Iwo Jima in advance of the projected aerial campaign against the Japanese home islands. Iwo Jima, a tiny volcanic island located in the Pacific about 700 miles southeast of Japan, was to be a base for fighter aircraft and an emergency-landing site for bombers. On February 19, 1945, after three days of heavy naval and aerial bombardment, the first wave of U.S. Marines stormed onto Iwo Jima’s inhospitable shores. The Japanese garrison on the island numbered 22,000 heavily entrenched men. Their commander, General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, had been expecting an Allied invasion for months and used the time wisely to construct an intricate and deadly system of underground tunnels, fortifications, and artillery that withstood the initial Allied bombardment. By the evening of the first day, despite incessant mortar fire, 30,000 U.S. Marines commanded by General Holland Smith managed to establish a solid beachhead. During the next few days, the Marines advanced inch by inch under heavy fire from Japanese artillery and suffered suicidal charges from the Japanese infantry. Many of the Japanese defenders were never seen and remained underground manning artillery until they were blown apart by a grenade or rocket, or incinerated by a flame thrower. While Japanese kamikaze flyers slammed into the Allied naval fleet around Iwo Jima, the Marines on the island continued their bloody advance across the island, responding to Kuribayashi’s lethal defenses with remarkable endurance. On February 23, the crest of 550-foot Mount Suribachi was taken, and the next day the slopes of the extinct volcano were secured. By March 3, U.S. forces controlled all three airfields on the island, and on March 26 the last Japanese defenders on Iwo Jima were wiped out. Only 200 of the original 22,000 Japanese defenders were captured alive. More than 6,000 Americans died taking Iwo Jima, and some 17,000 were wounded.

Too important of a message to not share. Pearland Police Department

Baytown Police media reports for the past 24 hours as of 6:00 AM, Thursday, February 22, 2018. :) Photos! On this day in 1980, the U.S. hockey team makes a miracle on ice. In one of the most dramatic upsets in Olympic history, the underdog U.S. hockey team, made up of college players, defeats the four-time defending gold-medal winning Soviet team at the XIII Olympic Winter Games in Lake Placid, New York. The Soviet squad, previously regarded as the finest in the world, fell to the youthful American team 4-3 before a frenzied crowd of 10,000 spectators. Two days later, the Americans defeated Finland 4-2 to clinch the hockey gold. The Soviet team had captured the previous four Olympic hockey golds, going back to 1964, and had not lost an Olympic hockey game since 1968. Three days before the Lake Placid Games began, the Soviets routed the U.S. team 10-3 in an exhibition game at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Americans looked scrappy, but few blamed them for it–their average age, after all, was only 22, and their team captain, Mike Eruzione, was recruited from the obscurity of the Toledo Blades of the International League. Few had high hopes for the seventh-seeded U.S. team entering the Olympic tournament, but the team soon silenced its detractors, making it through the opening round of play undefeated, with four victories and one tie, thus advancing to the four-team medal round. The Soviets, however, were seeded No. 1 and as expected went undefeated, with five victories in the first round. On Friday afternoon, February 22, the American amateurs and the Soviet dream team met before a sold-out crowd at Lake Placid. The Soviets broke through first, with their new young star, Valery Krotov, deflecting a slap shot beyond American goalie Jim Craig’s reach in the first period. Midway through the period, Buzz Schneider, the only American who had previously been an Olympian, answered the Soviet goal with a high shot over the shoulder of Vladislav Tretiak, the Soviet goalie. The relentless Soviet attack continued as the period progressed, with Sergei Makarov giving his team a 2-1 lead. With just a few seconds left in the first period, American Ken Morrow shot the puck down the ice in desperation. Mark Johnson picked it up and sent it into the Soviet goal with one second remaining. After a brief Soviet protest, the goal was deemed good, and the game was tied. In the second period, the irritated Soviets came out with a new goalie, Vladimir Myshkin, and turned up the attack. The Soviets dominated play in the second period, outshooting the United States 12-2, and taking a 3-2 lead with a goal by Alesandr Maltsev just over two minutes into the period. If not for several remarkable saves by Jim Craig, the Soviet lead would surely have been higher than 3-2 as the third and final 20-minute period began. Nearly nine minutes into the period, Johnson took advantage of a Soviet penalty and knocked home a wild shot by David Silk to tie the contest again at 3-3. About a minute and a half later, Mike Eruzione, whose last name means “eruption” in Italian, picked up a loose puck in the Soviet zone and slammed it past Myshkin with a 25-foot wrist shot. For the first time in the game, the Americans had the lead, and the crowd erupted in celebration. There were still 10 minutes of play to go, but the Americans held on, with Craig making a few more fabulous saves. With five seconds remaining, the Americans finally managed to get the puck out of their zone, and the crowd began counting down the final seconds. When the final horn sounded, the players, coaches, and team officials poured onto the ice in raucous celebration. The Soviet players, as awestruck as everyone else, waited patiently to shake their opponents’ hands. The so-called Miracle on Ice was more than just an Olympic upset; to many Americans, it was an ideological victory in the Cold War as meaningful as the Berlin Airlift or the Apollo moon landing. The upset came at an auspicious time: President Jimmy Carter had just announced that the United States was going to boycott the 1980 Summer Games in Moscow because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and Americans, faced with a major recession and the Iran hostage crisis, were in dire need of something to celebrate. After the game, President Carter called the players to congratulate them, and millions of Americans spent that Friday night in revelry over the triumph of “our boys” over the Russian pros. As the U.S. team demonstrated in their victory over Finland two days later, it was disparaging to call the U.S. team amateurs. Three-quarters of the squad were top college players who were on their way to the National Hockey League (NHL), and coach Herb Brooks had trained the team long and hard in a manner that would have made the most authoritative Soviet coach proud. The 1980 U.S. hockey team was probably the best-conditioned American Olympic hockey team of all time–the result of countless hours running skating exercises in preparation for Lake Placid. In their play, the U.S. players adopted passing techniques developed by the Soviets for the larger international hockey rinks, while preserving the rough checking style that was known to throw the Soviets off-guard. It was these factors, combined with an exceptional afternoon of play by Craig, Johnson, Eruzione, and others, that resulted in the miracle at Lake Placid. This improbable victory was later memorialized in a 2004 film, Miracle, starring Kurt Russell.