Below are the requirements that must be met to apply on-line for an Indiana Personal Protection Permit. As of October 1, 2014 all applications must be completed on line at the following address: https://firearms.ariesportal.com
1. You must live or work within the town limits of Clayton. If you live outside the town limits you must apply with the agency of that jurisdiction.
2. If you have a current Handgun License, you may apply within 180 days of your present expiration date. If current license is within 30 days of expiration date, the existing license is automatically extended upon payment to local jurisdiction. Every initial application for any handgun license shall be granted or rejected by the Indiana State Police after the application is filed with the Clayton Police Department (CPD) and fingerprinted at Morphotrust.
3. You must be at least 18 years of age and US citizen. Provide documents and/or passport if born outside of the United States when paying local fee at CPD. This will assist Homeland Security justify your US citizenship.
4. Applicant must have a credit card and email address before completing application on line. A "CREDIT CARD" (YOUR BANK DEBIT/CREDIT CARD WILL DELAY PROCESSING) and "EMAIL ADDRESS" will be required to complete the application on line. Indiana State Police Firearms (ISPF) notifies you by email for additional information.
5. You must complete the ISPF application on-line at http://firearms.ariesportal.com answering in full each and every question/inquiry.
6. Submitting false information or deliberate omissions will be grounds to deny the approval of your application.
7. Once the ISPF application is submitted on line, you must set up an appointment at Morphotrust USA
1-877-472-6917 along with their fee for processing your fingerprints.
Morphotrust is located at the Danville Police Department.
8. After submission of your ISP firearms application on-line, and you live inside the “town” limits, your next step is to pay your local fee at the Clayton Town Hall, located at 4844 Iowa Street Clayton, Indiana 46118, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday , Friday 9:00am - 12:00pm 1:00pm - 4:00pm and Wednesdays 9:00am - 12:00pm (excluding holidays). No appointment is necessary. (317) 539-2333
9. The CPD Local Application Fee is due once your application has been submitted on-line. This fee must be made by Money Order or Certified Check and should be made payable to Town of Clayton. Your Indiana driver’s license and or identification card must have your current residence registered with the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicle.
FEES FOR FIREARMS PERMITS
CPD Local Application
Fee (Money Order or Certified Check only)
Indiana State Police Fee (to be paid on-line with credit card).
4 Year Personal Handgun License
$10 Local Fee
Lifetime Personal Protection (no current handgun license)
$50 Local Fee
Lifetime Personal Protection (current valid handgun license)
$40 Local Fee
Retired Sworn Law Enforcement Officer **
Retired Sworn Corrections Officer **
Licensed Firearms Dealer
Duplicate (for lost or stolen license, change of address)
10. Your handgun application will be held on-line by the Indiana State Police for 120 days. (If over 120 days, contact CPD to see if application is still accessible.)
11. Indiana law requires an investigation into your criminal history records.
12. Once your fee has been paid at MorphoTrust and CPD, your license when approved or disapproved by ISPF, will be sent to the address indicated on your application within “8” weeks.
13. The CPD office can be contacted at 317-539-2552 Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding holidays.
14. When traveling out of the State of Indiana, check on-line with the National Rifle Association (NRA) for confirmation of the states that recognize the Indiana Personal Handgun License.
15. The ISP Firearms Division or the NRA websites have several questions and answers that may be helpful for an applicant.