This is the latest on Hurricane Florence....
• There is now a tropical storm warning in effect for Gates and Herford Counties in NC.
• In addition, a Coastal Flood Watch is in effect for Friday into the weekend for the Chesapeake Bay and tidal rivers.
• The Tropical Storm Watch remains in effect for parts of southside Hampton Roads and Hampton/Poquoson
• The tropical storm warning remains in effect for much of NE NC.
• The forecast track continues to show Florence staying well south of the area. Still, significant impacts could be felt in the region including:
o Dangerous Storm Surge Inundation in Albemarle Sound
o Onshore flow creating moderate to locally major coastal flooding in the Chesapake Bay and tidal rivers Friday and through the weekend.
o Tropical storm wind, especailly in gusts, across northeast Northeast North Carolina and SE VA. This wind combined with the heavy rainfall will cause trees to be downed.
o Heavy rainfall possibly dangerous flooding, especially across far southern VA and NE NC.
Please do not hesitate to contact the office if you have any questions.
-Perquimans County remains under a Tropical Storm Warning and Storm Surge Warning.
-While a southerly shift has taken place in the updated forecast, we should still expect Tropical Storm conditions begining late day Thursday through Saturday.
-Current projections show 4-6" of rain for Perquimans, with locally heavier amounts possible.
-The Perquimans County, Town of Hertford and Town of Winfall State of Emergency has the following effects on residents:
*There will be a curfew effective Thursday and Friday nights from 8:00 pm to 6:00 am, excluding Highway 17 traffic.
*All liquor, beer and wine sales will stop at 8:00 pm on Thursday.
*Residents will not be allowed to purchase firearms, ammunition or explosives.
*A voluntary evacuation of low lying or manufactured homes. Residents are urged to evacuate to a safe location with relatives or friends.
-A General Population Shelter is now open for residents at the Perquimans County High School Gym (411 South Edenton Road Street - Hertford, NC).
-All County offices and Town of Hertford offices will be closing at Noon on Thursday and remain closed on Friday.
-Perquimans County Schools are closed Thursday and Friday.
-Emergency Management will notify residents of changing conditions through Code Red Reverse 911 calls and the Perquimans County Emergency Services Facebook page.
-Perquimans County Emergency Services