Smith County, TX Arrest Records
Smith County, TX is among the safest counties in the USA with 1.00 per 1,000 residents crime rate compared to national 4.69 per 1,000 average. It has higher total crime rate than Travis, Bexar, Hidalgo, Montgomery, Cameron counties in Texas.
Smith County, TX property crime rate is 10.03 per 1,000 residents, lower rate than national average of 28.42 per 1,000. There were 1,252 larceny theft related arrests in 2016 that increased by 14.34% compared to 2015.
Smith County, TX Crime Rate
Total arrests in Smith County in 2016 increased by 16.12% compared to 2015 and is lower than national average of 33.12 per 1,000 people. Violent crimes increased from 210 to 226 while non-violent crime increased by 17.05% from 1,930 to 2,259.
5 Crimes In Smith County, TX in 2016 with the Most Arrests
|Motor vehicle theft||257|
Violent crime rate in Smith County increased by 7.62% from 2015 and decreased by 5.04% in the last 5 years since 2011 from 238 to 226. In 2016 violent crime rate in Smith County was 78.62% lower than the national average. Your chance of being a victim of a violent crime is 0.1%.
Property crime rates in Smith County increased by 17.05% from 2015 and increased by 10.57% in the last 5 years since 2011 from 2,043 to 2,259. In 2016 property crime rate in Smith County was 64.72% lower than the national average. Your chance of being a victim of property crime is 1.003%.
How Smith stands up against other counties
Smith vs. Brazos
You’ll be in more risk in Smith compared to Brazos county that had 83.55% lower crime rate compared to Smith county according to the FBI.
Murder rates of 0.0089 per 1,000 people is lower than national of 0.0614 per 1,000 people and higher than average 0.0045 in Brazos county.
Larceny rates of 5.5573 per 1,000 people is lower than national of 20.5437 per 1,000 people and higher than average 0.9346 in Brazos county.
Smith vs. Hays
You’ll be in more risk in Smith compared to Hays county that had 53.93% lower crime rate compared to Smith county according to the FBI.
Rape rates of 0.0133 per 1,000 people is lower than national of 0.0199 per 1,000 people and lower than average 0.1369 in Hays county.
Arson rates of 0.0755 per 1,000 people is lower than national of 0.1465 per 1,000 people and higher than average 0.0049 in Hays county.
DID you know?
- The overall crime rate in Smith County is 0.67% lower than the national average.
- For every 1,000 residents, there are 3.02 daily crimes that occur in Smith County.
- Smith, TX is more violent than Brazos.
- In Smith County you have a 1 in 91 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
- Year over year crimes in Smith, TX have increased by 16.12%.
Smith Police Departments
- Lindale Police Department
- Office of the United States Marshal for the Eastern District of Texas
- Smith County Sheriff's Office
- Troup Police Department
- Tyler Independent School District Police
- Tyler Police Department
- University of Texas at Tyler Police Department
- University of Texas at Tyler* Police Department
- Whitehouse* Police Department